Saturday, June 12, 2010

Some Updates

Wow, it's been a while. But I've finally had an opportunity to fix the menus on the Field Guide. I use a program called GoLive which incorporates components that can be changed and then automatically copied to all the pages. When I add a new section all the menus have to reflect that. My GoLive crashed and I had to hunt down another copy to load into my computer. This happened last week, and I was able to finally update.

I also uploaded a 13th Anniversary graphic I actually made back in January. I'm sure you'll get the significance, and a little of the humor.

The big update is new images of Apollo 14 in the new display area at the Apollo-Saturn V Center at KSC. This was made last year, but I was unable to get over there until now. I notice I still have some work to do, some broken links, but you can check out the thumbnails.

UPDATE: I was able to fix many of the Apollo 14 links as well as missing images on the BP-30 page this morning. Still have a little work to do before I'm satisfied!

The big news is the return of the Gemini-Titan to KSCVC is imminent. The previous Titan suffered stress damage during the storms of '05, and was further damaged during removal. The remains are located in a storage yard just of KSC's Ransom Road. More on this and the new Titan II is an upcoming post.

Thanks for reading and supporting the Field Guide!

2 comments:

  1. If I remember right, Titan bodies were exceptionally delicate. Didn't they partially pressurize Titans for transport because they had such thin walls? Or was that the Atlas? I seem to recall reading that they were easily damaged. "Remembering an Unsung Giant," about the Douglas C-133 Cargomaster has a decent chapter about this. Have they determined a way to strengthen the rockets for extended display and storms? Seems to me they should move all those wonderful rockets to the North West where it's safe! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe those were the Atlas that needed pressurization. I seem to recall Tom WIlkes at Guard-Lee saying most Atlas' displayed today have internal bracing after an Atlas on display lost pressure and collapsed. He said they discussed using a pylon display for the KSC Titan (similar to that at the NY Hall of Science) but it was not feasible in our location. SO it will be guyed like the other rockets on display.

    ReplyDelete